Monday, February 28, 2011

Ghost Town

This past weekend, for my photography class, we were instructed to explore (on foot) downtown Dallas, or any surrounding area, and take a series of technically specific photographs of interesting subject matter. I ended up straying a bit further away from downtown, choosing to wander around the streets close to the South Side on Lamar building. I am very familiar with these streets from a driving, mobile perspective, however I have never taken the time to stroll around. Maybe because it was a hazy, lazy, Sunday afternoon, but the emptiness of the streets and obvious neglect that the encompassing buildings emanated was astounding to me. I ran into one, maybe two people (if I include the guy I stared at for a while as he loaded some rad-looking beach cruisers into a bus) during the couple of hours that I walked around, taking pictures whenever I found something that caught my eye. I loved the pictures that I ended up taking away from my afternoon, but the eerie feeling of exploring a semi- ghost town, not even five minutes outside of downtown left me wondering... how could this happen to a seemingly bustling, funky area of urban landscape? Check out some of the photos I took and decide for yourself... the area is deteriorating in beautiful kind of way, empty of the hustle and bustle of what one would think any surrounding area of Dallas would encompass. Needless to say, it was a solitary afternoon...









4 comments:

  1. I mean...come ON! I thought the groundhog didn't get freaked out by his shadow this year?
    cruiser bike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermosa Beach All parts and components are blacked out,giving it a very cool,toughb and mellow look.
    beach bike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding to the beauty and detial of the dreamcycle,the brown saddle and grips are embossed whith hiniscus graphics,giving it a fun and elegant touch Comfort Bikes.
    bike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certain parts of a cruiser will rust if left out in wet conditions, especially the chain, and if the chain rusts you cruiser will not ride as smooth as it should.
    bike rear rack

    ReplyDelete