Thursday, March 3, 2011

New Friend

Hanging out in Deep Ellum for any period of time, on any given day, pretty much guarantees you a run-in with some interesting folk, even if you choose to sit back at an outdoor cafe and people watch. Another photography assignment led me into the midst of Deep Ellum (we'll call it DE for abbreviation's sake), and while taking a few shots of a funky looking brick wall...




...I started chatting with a man who introduced himself as Zachary Lynn Lee, DE extraordinaire (with a crooked, bashful smile nonetheless). I let go of my fascination with the wall in front of me for a while, listening to Mr. Lee's non-stop chatter. I learned quickly that it didn't take much probing to get this guy's life story out of him. I could tell he needed something, whether that be food, money, or a tough pair of shoes, but  he was too proud to ask. Zachary made it clear to me that he was bouncing from homeless shelter to the streets and back to his favorite homeless shelter at the Salvation Army place off of Harry Hines, that he was not into drinking or drugs of any sort, and that he wanted nothing more than an honest, paying job, wherever that may be. It's easy to assume this sort of stringing together of situations when you observe a homeless man or woman holding up a sign in the middle of a busy intersection or asking for spare change, but it's different to actually stop and listen to a story from start to finish. I probably sound like a sucker, whatever, maybe Mr. Lee had practiced his spiel once or twice, but I don't think that takes away from the authenticity of  a true struggle.
I decided to give him what I could, a  measly couple of bucks that he assured me would guarantee him a stay at his favorite shelter, along with a fruit and nut power bar thing that I had been saving for lunch. He  graciously accepted, took a bite out of the bar, instantly made a face and declared, "Hey, this must be good for me!" (AKA a nice way of saying it tasted like crap... thanks Zach). After watching me complete my series of photos, I could tell he was anxious about something, so I asked, and was taken aback when he asked if I could take a few photos of him and include them in my project. He made for the perfect subject.





 getting sassy....



He also insisted on signing a piece of paper for me, so I wouldn't forget him, or his age, for that matter...



I'm hoping, next time I cruise around DE, that I'll see Zach keeping shop at one of my many favorite restaurants around there, I've got a feeling he would make a great host.

No comments:

Post a Comment