Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FOOD

I love FOOD. I consider it a healthy obsession. I love to cook it (especially breakfast foods and Italian dishes), I love to try it, I LOVE it all. I like to eat healthy, but it has to taste good, otherwise, what's the point. I've been trying some old-fashioned Italian recipes lately, my favorite being a chicken ratatouille dish that tastes likes it's straight outta southern Italy. I morphed the recipe into a veggie pasta sauce, which I've been tweaking week to week, it's simple and delicious. Basically all you need are a ton of veggies and tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and whatever spices you like (I'm a big fan of basil and oregano with this recipe). Oh, and maybe some pasta to put it on top of, and a slice of garlic bread to go with it.

While the water is boiling for the pasta, here's what I usually start out with:
3-4 vine ripened tomatoes
1 zucchini
1 bell pepper
a handful of mushrooms
1/2-3/4 of an onion (white or red)
a couple big handfuls of spinach
2-4 cloves of garlic, diced
 Heat up a big pan with a few generous glugs of olive oil, and sauté
the garlic and onions until they start to slightly brown, toss in the rest of your chopped up veggies, but leave out the spinach and tomatoes. Let the tough veggies simmer for about 5 minutes, then throw in the spinach, let it wilt, and toss in the diced tomatoes, stirring continually. Add your pepper, oregano, basil, and whatever spices you love, keep on stirring, until a soft, sauce-like consistency happens.
Looks like a hot mess, but tastes delicious! Put a hefty portion of your sauce on some spaghetti or angel hair pasta, and call it a night. Add some vino to the equation and you're golden... buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment