Sunday, March 27, 2011

Officially a Portrait Photographer

I have my fifth photo project due tonight, it's a portrait assignment (9 shots of someone else and 3 shots depicting self-portraits), and I was a bit dubious about the task at first. This entire semester we've been taking pictures of THINGS, inanimate objects, sometimes a random human being would find their way into my field of view, but otherwise no specific assignment made use of one person, and one person only as the subject matter. I knew I needed someone who is comfortable in front of the camera, but not obnoxious, someone who knows their body and wouldn't be afraid to go a little crazy. Of course all of my lovely friends who are dance majors at SMU came to mind, and fortunately one of my best friends was able to sacrifice 3+ hours of her day to gypsy around the outskirts of downtown with me on a misty Sunday afternoon. The pictures turned out really cool! I wanted to do a good job of creating photos that she would want to keep, as well as nail my project, so it worked out well. It's a completely different experience taking pictures of a living, breathing, human who can shift, twitch, chat, and be self-conscious. I actually really enjoyed it, more so than wandering around by myself to find surfaces and settings that interest me, but I love having the freedom to do just that and explore as well. I think I just like the fact that I am able to give something meaningful back to my friend, Jessalyn, who took so much of her own time to help me. Hope you enjoy these!





















 Just to give you a few good chuckles... I'm throwing in the 3 self-portrait photos we were assigned to do.. try your best not to at least smile, I dare you.




No comments:

Post a Comment