Thursday, April 14, 2011

A**Holes

Some people are just inherently assholes, there's no way around it. Today, in photo class, we were discussing potential ideas for our final assignment, our "personal vision." I suggested an idea inspired by the professional photographer Robert Bergman, whose pictures are wonders; sharp, beautifully lit, with a background that can, at times, look staged. It's not, and the lighting is natural. Bergman would always ask permission of his chosen people, but he would never pose them. Just to give you a taste, here are some of my favorites of his:




The idea I had for my project was to wander around downtown Dallas, Deep Ellum, or wherever and talk to people, find out their story, if they were willing to share, and ask permission to photograph them, and let my pictures tell the story. I could see my professor think about it for a while, she then gave me her permission to proceed with caution. I asked what she meant, and of course she had a story waiting. 

Apparently, a few semesters ago, a student turned in a personal vision project solely comprised of random shots of homeless people. My professor had noticed a vague, blurry area in every bottom right corner of the series of photos, and asked the student what it was. He replied, "Oh, it's the side mirror of my car." Professor Hunter then asked if he had been in his car while taking his pictures... "Yes." She went a step further to ask what kind of car he drives..."A Porche." Hmmmm let's think about this one for a second. Seriously?!? Definition: asshole. Clearly this student had no moral obligations, no compassion, and no CLUE, to top it all off. I am never ceased to be amazed by the blatant disregard for humanity that so many in my age block, especially here at SMU, display on a regular basis. I will go no further, as this is the one and only blog that I will allow myself to rant, thanks for listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment