Sunday, April 24, 2011

I Love Trees

This past Friday and Saturday was the celebration of Earth Day in downtown Dallas, so of course I was in attendance. Some of my friends in the SMU dance program performed a piece from the Hope Show on Saturday, IN the reflecting pool outside of the Winspear Theater... I filmed the entire performance, but I'm having some issues uploading the two 10-minute videos to this little blog of mine, so you're just going to have to take my word:



The piece is unusual, thought-provoking, and can be interpreted in so many different ways, which is what the performing arts are all about. If, in the program brochure for a play, or a dance show, or a museum exhibit, the playwright, choreographer, or artist included an intensive description of the purpose behind the work, or a detailed analysis of how the work should be interpreted, where's the fun in that? It's important to be able to decipher a visual stimulant individually, and draw from it your own personal experience or new found appreciation. After I see the Brown Bag dance series at SMU, which is all student choreography performed by Meadows dance students, I sometimes like to ask the choreographers what their intended meaning for the piece was. Sometimes I 100% agree, sometimes I am blown away by their personal vision. The only absolute is how much I love watching dance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment