Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bye Bye Birdie

Another one of those gloomy days where you want nothing but to bundle up in your favorite blanket and watch movies all day, and I found myself browsing the free movie channels, only to find the classic Bye Bye Birdie musical. I am normally not a big musical fan when it's not onstage, but I found myself hooked to this one. Made in 1963, the gender roles are clearly entrenched, but the funny thing is just that; it's meant to be a satire on American society set in 1958. 

The humor is very tongue-in-cheek, especially the song lyrics, which I found hilarious. If this were a textbook analysis, I'd say the overall theme of Bye Bye Birdie illustrates the need to grow up at the right time---not too early like Kim and not too late like Albert. Oh, and my love of Dick Van Dyke has been officially rekindled, thanks to his killer dance moves

No comments:

Post a Comment